Sunday, January 10, 2021

Peter Balsam


Saint Peter Balsam

Also known as
Peter Apselamus
Peter Balsamus
Pietro Apselamo

memorial
11 January

Profile

Our saint was arrested and tried for being a Christian during the persecutions of Emperor Maximinus. The transcript of his trial was well read among early Christian Literature (see below).
He was sentenced to be crucified in the year 311.

Peter: I know the laws of God the sovereign of the universe

Judge: You shall quickly know that there is an edict of the most clement emperors commanding all to sacrifice to the gods or be put to death

PETER: You will also know one day that there is a law of the eternal king proclaiming that every one shall perish who offers sacrifice to devils which do you counsel me to obey and which do you think should be my option to die by your sword or to be condemned to everlasting misery by the sentence of the great king the true God

Judge: Seeing you ask my advice it is then that you obey the edict and sacrifice to the gods

PETER: I can never be prevailed upon to sacrifice to gods of wood and stone as those are which you adore

Judge: I would have you know that it is in my power to revenge these affronts by your death

PETER: I had no intention to affront you I only expressed what is written in the divine law

Judge: Have compassion on yourself and sacrifice

PETER: If I am truly compassionate to myself I ought not to sacri fice

Judge: My desire is to use lenity I therefore still do allow you time to consider with yourself that you may save your life

PETER: This delay will be to no purpose for I shall not alter my mind do now what you will be obliged to do soon and complete the work which the devil your father has begun for I will never do what Jesus Christ forbids me

No comments:

Post a Comment